College Farm is owned by Richard & Katharine Wolstenholme who have run the house as a bed & breakfast & wedding venue since they returned to Norfolk in 2011. Set in the heart of the beautiful Norfolk countryside, the house is steeped in history and dates back to the 14th Century. It was built by Sir John and Sir Thomas de Shardelowe as a College of Priests to serve St Martin’s Church and inhabitants of the village. Sir Thomas married Margaret, daughter of Sir Roger de Grey of Merton from whom Katharine is descended.
In 1541 following the dissolution of the monasteries and the College, its lands and revenues were assigned to Sir Edward Knevitt but in 1845 the Thompson College estate was exchanged for the Suffolk estate of the 5th Baron Walsingham. Thus Thompson College, or College Farm as it became known, passed back to the de Greys of Merton. It is fortuitous twist of fate that a descendant of the original owners now lives in College Farm.